Friday, October 5, 2007

Faith Like A Child

Matthew 18:3-4 says "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven". I have read these verses countless times, but their meaning was more evident to me tonight than it has ever been. Teenagers are constantly told to watch what they say and what they do because children are watching us. This becomes evident as time moves on. As teenagers, we are all aware that children do look up to us and imitate our every move. There are days when we are approached by children we don't even know and yet they know who we are and everything we are involved in at school. It is amazing to realize just how much these children want to be just like you even though you may not have done anything special in your mind. While babysitting tonight, Olivia asked me to teach her a cheerleader dance. It's not the first time we had done this, but tonight she really captured my attention with this activity. We did the usual as far as I was in front and she was in back watching what I was doing. However, this time I was in front of the mirror and was able to watch Olivia. I really zoned in on the fact that she never took her eyes off of what I was doing and she tried to do exactly what I did. When I turned around and smiled she said "I'm trying to follow all of your steps so I can do it exactly like you." As soon as she said that, these verses in Matthew popped into my head. I finally began to comprehend faith like a child. If in our lives we would humble ourselves and become the student in the way we live and allow Jesus to teach, what would happen? What would the world be like if, like Olivia, we stood back and let Jesus lead? If we never took our eyes off of Him and our greatest desire was to follow His every step so that we could live like Him? I can only imagine what God could do through our lives if we were completely sold out for Him with faith like a child.

No comments: